CORPORATION HALL HISTORY
Kalamazoo Village officers first got a home of their own with the 1867
construction of Corporation Hall on the west side of South Burdick Street between South Street and Michigan Avenue. The 27,000 sq. ft. building housed fire companies on the first floor, with more municipal offices on the second floor. In the coming years, Corporation Hall also provided space for the first public library, the Ladies Library Association and the Kalamazoo Board of Education. The fire and police departments moved elsewhere in the early 1900s, but Corporation Hall was the seat of local government until 1924. In 1925, the building was leased to the J.C. Penney department store until 1956. Since then, various businesses have occupied the building and it has had several facades over the years.